islam4u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
islam4u

islamic, social, cultural

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Zaid Bin Haritha

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Zaid Bin Haritha Empty
PostSubject: Zaid Bin Haritha   Zaid Bin Haritha EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 1:40 am

Zaid Bin Haritha

Zaid bin Haritha was originally a member of Banu Maan and was born to Haritha and his wife Suada bint Sualba. Once when Suada accompanied by her son Zaid bin Haritha were travelling to her ancestral home, the caravan was ambushed by robbers. They looted the travellers and took the children as prisoners. Zaid too was taken as a slave and was brought to the market of Okaz in Makkah and sold to a rich tribal chieftain Hakeem bin Hazam bin Khuwailid for 400 Dirhams. Hakeem’s aunt Khadijah bin Khuwailid came to see him and was offered a slave as a gift. Khadijah selected Zaid as he looked intelligent as well as gentle. Later when Khadijah married Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh), who was 25 years old and was not a Prophet till then, she presented Zaid to her new husband as a gift. But back at Zaid’s home, the grief-stricken Suada and his father were restless. They searched for him, but all efforts were in vain. A year later, a caravan of Hajj pilgrims who spotted Zaid bin Haritha in Makkah reported the matter to his parents. This came as a pleasant surprise for Haritha and Suada. Haritha and his brother Kaab immediately set out for Makkah and arrived at the house of the holy Prophet. But by then, Zaid had become so attached to the Prophet that he wouldn’t brook separation at any cost. Haritha and Kaab were ready to offer any prize for Zaid’s release. But Zaid would not agree. Later the Prophet told the guests to themselves ask Zaid to go with them. If he agreed to go, he would not mind telling him to go with his father. But if he wants to stay with him (Prophet), he would not force him to go. At this, the Prophet called for Zaid and asked him to identify his father and uncle.

Zaid: This is my father Haritha and my uncle Kaab.
Prophet: If you want to go with them, you are free to go. I will have no objection.
Zaid: I am here to stay on with you, none else.
Haritha: Zaid, you prefer slavery over freedom. How painful is your decision.
Zaid: Father, you don’t know Muhammad. I have found in him a man whose like cannot be found. His love, affection and character are simply matchless.

When Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) found Zaid to be expressing his love for him in these words, he took him to Haram and declared before the Quraish chieftains: “O, the people of Quraish, be witness, Zaid is now my son. He will succeed me.”

Haritha and Kaab were extremely pleased at the happy turn of events. From that day onwards, Zaid bin Haritha became Zaid bin Muhammad. But later the Quran revoked this Arab tradition and ordered the sons to be attributed to their biological fathers rather than adoptive ones. Zaid did not know whose company he had been blessed with. He realised this only after Muhammad became the Prophet. Zaid was the first to join the fold of Islam. He became the Prophet’s close confidant. The Prophet used to bless him ceaselessly. He would personally welcome him whenever he would return from a mission. In the 8th Hijri, the Prophet dispatched Zaid bin Haritha on a military mission to Mautha, following the assassination of Haris bin Umair who was taking a personal letter from the holy Prophet to the Shah of Basrah. Haris had been killed by the Ameer of Ghassana, Sharahbeel bin Amru on the east of Jordan. The military contingent had only 3000 soldiers, while the opponent forces had gathered one lakh well-equipped army. The Prophet had appointed Zaid bin Haritha as the commander of the Islamic forces. He told the contingent to appoint Jaffer bin Abi Talib if Zaid was martyred. And even if Jaffer became a martyr, Abdullah bin Rawaha was to be appointed in his place. And the contingent was asked to choose someone if Abdullah too fell to sword in the battleground.

The two forces gathered at a place called ‘Maan’. At this point, one lakh pagan Arabs also joined the enemy camp. When the encounter began, Muslims fought valiantly. The three persons were martyred one after another. Following this, Khalid bin Waleed was appointed the commander. He was a new convert at that time. He was a legendary warrior. He saved the Muslim forces from defeat. When the Prophet knew about the war of Mautha and heard about the three commanders, he was very much aggrieved. He personally went to Zaid bin Haritha’s house and condoled the death. Tears were rolling down his cheek. Saad bin Ubadah asked him “ O Prophet, even you are crying.” The Prophet replied: “ I am crying for one who was so affectionate for me.”

(Translated and abridged by Maqbool Ahmed Siraj
from Suwarum Min Hayathus Sahaba
by Dr. Abdur Rahman Rafat Pasha of Egypt)
Living Islam
Good Manners and Contentment

Khalid ibn al Walîd narrated the following hadith:
A Bedouin came one day to the holy Prophet and said to him: ‘O, Messenger of Allah! I’ve come to ask you a few questions about the affairs of this Life and the Hereafter.’
‘Ask what you wish’ said the Prophet.
Q: I’d like to be the most learned of men.
A: Fear Allah, and you will be the most learned of men.
Q: I wish to be the richest man in the world.
A: Be contented, and you will be the richest man in the world.
Q: I’d like to be the most just man.
A: Desire for others what you desire for yourself, and you will be the most just of men.
Q: I want to be the best of men.
A: Do good to others and you will be the best of men.
Q: I wish to be the most favoured by Allah.
A: Engage much in Allah’s praise, and you will be most favoured by Him.
Q: I’d like to complete my faith.
A: If you have good manners, you will complete your faith
Q: I’d like to be raised on the Day of Judgement in the light.
A: Don’t wrong yourself or any other creature, and you will be raised on the Day of Judgement in the light.
Q: I’d like Allah to bestow His mercy on me.
A: If you have mercy on yourself and others, Allah will grant you Mercy on the Day of Judgement.
Q: I’d like to enlarge my provision.
A: If you keep yourself pure, Allah will enlarge your provision.
Q: I’d like to be loved by Allah and His messenger.
A: If you love what Allah and His messenger love, you will be among their beloved ones.
Q: I wish to be safe from Allah’s wrath on the Day of Judgement.
A: If you do not lose your temper with any of your fellow creatures, you will be safe from the wrath of Allah on the Day of Judgement.
Scholars of Renown
Ibn Al-Hajj Al-Abdari

Muhammad ibn Muhammad, Abu Abdullah, better known as Ibn Al-Hajj was one of the well-known scholars in North Africa. He belongs to Fez in present-day Morocco. His title Al-Abdari suggests that his lineage goes back to the Arabian tribe Abduddar. This means that his family originally migrated from Arabia to North Africa, or that his ancestors might have settled there after North Africa came under Islamic rule. We are not sure of the year of his birth, but it is suggested that he was born around 657 A.H, corresponding to 1258 A.D. The time when Al-Abdari lived was one of the darkest periods in Islamic history.

The Crusades had swept through Syria and Palestine to establish their presence in these parts. Al-Abdari studied under many scholars of high standing in various cities and provinces. One of his books documents the scholarly status of many places and cities, as he witnessed it. He started a trip early in his life, beginning at his place on the coast of the Atlantic in Morocco. He started his trip in January 1289, on his way to pilgrimage. He stayed in many cities, meeting scholars and reading under them, particularly in Tunis, Al-Qairawan, Alexandria, Cairo, in addition to Madinah and Makkah. While his ultimate aim was to perform the pilgrimage, he was also keen to acquire as much learning as possible. Al-Abdari records what he saw on his trip in a book of immense value. His record is that of a critic with scholarly insight. Al-Abdari wrote another book, largely drawing on his trip.

The book is known as Madkhal Ash-Shara Ash-Shareef Ala Al-Mathahib, or “Introduction to Islamic Jurisprudence according to Schools of Thought”.The author points out questions of innovation or deviation from Islamic teachings which he saw or encountered on his trip, and outlines the proper Islamic approach in each one of them. Al-Abdari died in Cairo in 1336.
Do you know?

The Mughal emperors of India are buried in four countries of South Asia.

Babur (Kabul-Afghanistan)
Humayun (New Delhi-India)
Akbar (Sikandra near Agra-India)
Jehangir (Lahore-Pakistan)
Shah Jehan (Taj Mahal in Agra-India)
Aurangzeb (Aurangabad Deccan-India)
Bahadur Shah Zafar* (Rangoon-Burma)

* There were six Mughal kings between Aurangzeb and Bahadur Shah Zafar. They are buried in and around Delhi.

Arabs: Among the Arabs you should never praise any item in an Arab home. Once praised Arabs feel it obligatory to gift that item to the guest.

It takes 250,000 Indians to make the same amount of steel that the Japanese can forge with only 8,000 workers.
Islamic Voice Quiz August 2002

1. Name the largest desert in the world.
2. Name the famous boxer who became a Muslim.
3. To which of the wives of Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) was the title Faqeeha given?
4. The day of Arafat falls on which date of the month of Zul Hajj?
5. Who slept in Prophet Muhammad’s (Pbuh) bed when he migrated to Madinah?
6. Name the river, which flows by the Taj Mahal.
7. What is the study of stars called?
8. Name the Prophet who was asked by Allah to leave his wife and son in the desert?
9. What do you call a person who collects stamps?
10. Who wrote the book “Malgudi Days”?

Write the correct answers on a separate sheet of paper and send it along with the coupon given in this page. Write your name, complete address, age and school where you study. Entries without address will not be considered. The first three all-correct entries will receive Rs. 250, Rs 200 and Rs. 150. The entries close on September 10, 2002.

Islam and Patriotism

Have you heard that when Muhammad Ali (the Boxer) went to Rome and won the Olympic gold in boxing, he openly proclaimed : “My country is the best in the entire world,” though he was discriminated as a Black Muslim. He spoke not only as an American, but also as an American Muslim. There are many examples of Indian Muslims who have laid down their lives fighting for our country. Captain Hamid who died during the Indo-Pak war is the most well known among them. Islam teaches us that all Muslims belong to one brotherhood and that all humanity is one large family. Then how can we Muslims fight against each other if we belong to different countries? You might ask. Islam stands for justice and equality, and if any country violates these principles, there is every reason we as Muslims can fight against it. And also we must remember that as citizens of a country in which we live, we are bound by loyalty to the land to defend it against attacks and plots by the enemies of our country. We must all remember that Islam teaches us all to love our country and respect all forms of life. Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) has said that a human life is more sacred. Justice, equality and peace must be our guiding principles in life. Islam teaches us to live by these principles without sacrificing the love for our country.

Sabith Khan

Back to the Past
From Papyrus to Mont Blanc

From Papyrus to Mont BlancIt is thousands of years since people began to express themselves in writing. The people of ancient times, Babylonia and Egypt were the first to do so. They invented signs, which stood for letters, words, and thoughts. These signs were sometimes in pictures. They stood for words, names, or objects. The children of Babylonia had to learn how to read and write. They did not use pens and papers. They took soft clay and moulded it into flat bricks or tablets. On these, they wrote with an oyster shell, a piece of broken pottery by a sharp instrument, which made their letters wedge shaped. After the marks had been made, the tablets were put in an oven to bake, or left in the sun to dry. The Egyptians first wrote on stone. However, later, they found a plant called Papyrus, which grew on the banks of the river Nile. On this they scratched letters with something, which was very similar to the pencil used today. Later they used pen and ink. Their pens were made from reeds and cut just like the quill pens of the later ages.

From Egypt, the use of Papyrus made its way into Europe. For hundreds of years writing was only done in this way. Then came a time, when the Papyrus from Egypt ran in short supply. The people of Europe started using fine leather, which was polished on both the sides. This was called as a Parchment.

The ancient Britons made drawings by scratching with flint, which is very hard upon the rocks. Reed pens were used in the East. In Europe, quill pens made from feathers were in use as late as the end of the 17th century after which metal pens were invented. James Perry was the first to introduce metal pens in Manchester in the year 1820 A.C. Now there are nearly 100,000 varieties of pen to choose, from ballpoint pens, gel pens, ink pens to those made up of gold.
Prophetic Guidance
Anger is the Devil

Saeed bin Musayyeb says: Once Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) was sitting with his Companions and one person used insulting words against Hazrath Abu Bakr. But Abu Bakr remained silent. The person again used bitter words against Abu Bakr, and still Abu Bakr did not respond. The third time when this ignorant person hurt Abu Bakr with his tongue, Abu Bakr tried answering back. At this point, the Prophet got up. Abu Bakr asked him, "Are you displeased with me, O Messenger of Allah?" The Prophet replied, "No, but when you remained silent, an angel came down from the heaven responding to this man's talk. But the moment you started replying to that man, the angel went away and the devil sat down. And I cannot sit where the devil is sitting."
Do not curse your enemies
Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) travelled to Taif hoping that perhaps the people of this town would be receptive to his message, which had been rejected by most of the Makkans for over a decade. But the people of Taif proved just as cruel and intolerant. Not only did they scorn his message of God's Oneness, they turned their youth against the Prophet. In the face of this misery, the Angel Gabriel was sent and presented him with an option: have the whole town be destroyed, by Allah's will, for such arrogance. He could have done it. He could have asked that those children who pelted him with stones be destroyed But he didn't. Instead of cursing the children of this town, he prayed for its future generations to accept Islam. The Prophet would pray for his enemies all the time. On another occasion, some Companions came to the Prophet and said: "O Messenger of Allah! The tribe of Daws have disobeyed your commands. Supplicate Allah against them!" Contrary to the people's expectations, the Prophet said: "O Allah! Guide Daws and let them come to us".

The Brooklyn Bridge
A tribute to the triumph of one man's indomitable spirit

A tribute to the triumph of one man's indomitable spiritIn 1883, a creative engineer named John Roebling was inspired by an idea to build a spectacular bridge connecting New York with the Long Island. However, bridge building experts throughout the world thought that this was an impossible feat and told Roebling to forget the idea. It was not practical. It had never been done before. Roebling could not ignore the vision he had in his mind of this bridge. He thought about it all the time and he knew deep in his heart that it could be done. He just had to share the dream with someone else. After much persuasion, he managed to convince his son Washington, an upcoming engineer, that the bridge could be built. Working together for the first time, the father and son team developed concepts of how it could be accomplished and how the obstacles could be overcome. The project started well, but when it was only a few months underway, a tragic accident on the site took the life of John Roebling. Washington was injured and left with a certain amount of brain damage, which resulted in him not being able to walk or talk or even move. "We told them so." "Crazy men and their crazy dreams." "It`s foolish to chase wild visions."

The Brooklyn BridgeEveryone had a negative comment to make and felt that the project should be scrapped since the Roeblings were the only ones who knew how the bridge could be built. In spite of his handicap, Washington still had a burning desire to complete the bridge and his mind was still as sharp as ever. Suddenly an idea hit him. All he could do was move one finger and he decided to make the best use of it. By moving this, he slowly developed a code of communication with his wife. He touched his wife's arm with that finger, indicating to her that he wanted her to call the engineers again. Then he used the same method of tapping her arm to tell the engineers what to do. For 13 years, Washington tapped out his instructions with his finger on his wife's arm, until the bridge was finally completed. Today, the spectacular Brooklyn Bridge stands in all its glory as a tribute to the triumph of one man's indomitable spirit and his determination not to be defeated by circumstances. The Brooklyn Bridge shows us that dreams that seem impossible can be realised with determination and persistence, no matter what the odds are.
The King's Thumb

The King's ThumbOnce upon a time, there was a King in Africa who had a close friend he grew up with. The friend had a habit of looking at every situation in his life (positive or negative) by remarking, "This is good, Allah Almighty knows best." One day, the King and his friend were out on a hunting expedition. The friend would load and prepare the guns for the King. The friend had done something wrong in preparing one of the guns, for after taking the gun from his friend, the King fired it and his thumb was blown off. The friend remarked as usual, "This is good! Allah Almighty knows best." To which the King replied, "No, this is NOT good!" and ordered his soldiers to put his friend into jail. About a year later, the King was hunting in an area that he should have stayed clear of. Cannibals captured the King and took him to their village. They tied his hands, stacked some wood, set up a stake and bound him to the stake. As they came near to set fire to the wood, they noticed that the King’s thumb was missing. Being superstitious, they never ate anyone who was less than whole. So after untying the King, they chased him out of the village.

When the King reached his Palace, he was reminded of the event that had taken his thumb and felt remorse for his treatment of his friend. He went immediately to the jail to speak with his friend. "You were right" the King said, "it was good that my thumb was blown off." And he proceeded to tell the friend all that had just happened. "I am very sorry for sending you to jail for so long. It was bad for me to do this." "No," his friend replied, "this is good...Allah Almighty knows best" "What do you mean, 'this is good'! The King's friend replied: "Remember that the Almighty knows best and if I had NOT been in jail, I would have been with you on that hunting trip." He knows what is before them And what is behind them: And to Allah go back All questions (for decision)"(Quran:Surah Al Hajj 22:76).
Nature Watch
An Amazing Feat

Did you know that Monarch Butterflies in the North American continent migrate for over 4000 miles from Canada to Mexico, each winter in search of food? The Arctic Tern migrates from the Arctic region to Antarctica. Amazing, isn't it? And have you heard about the migration of animals from African Jungles each year? Why do animals migrate? Animals migrate to survive. The Pacific Salmon spends its entire lifetime in migration and some animals make migrate repeatedly each year. Seasonal migrations occur in many species of insects, birds, marine mammals, and large herbivorous mammals. These migrations provide the animals with more favourable conditions of temperature, food, or water. Many birds and a few bats of cold and temperate regions migrate to warmer areas during the winter. The African Antelopes migrate seasonally to avoid drought. See how the creator Allah has given wisdom to each and every creature on this Earth.

Sabith Khan
The Arab and the Atheist

In the land of Arabia, there lived a man by name Abu Fahad. He was a Bedouin. He rode upon his horse,into the desert in search of food and water. During one of his travels, he came upon a Bedouin village camping ground. There were groups of Bedouin merchants, some of them bartering over goods, while others sat nearby warming themselves by the fireside. Another group had spread their prayer rugs facing towards the qiblah for the Maghrib Prayers.

His attention was drawn to a foreigner sitting near to where the prayer mats had been spread. Abu Fahad had heard about this man. He had come from a distant land and was making a study on the Bedouin tribes of the desert. Abu Fahad joined the other Muslims to pray. The prayers over, he turned around to notice the foreigner looking at him. He addressed Abu Fahad, "Why do you say in your prayers that God is the greatest, and that we should ever turn to him constantly in prayer?" "His name is honoured," answered Abu Fahad. "Personally, I do not believe in God. I am an atheist" said the foreigner. "I believe in the glory and beauty of Compassion" and opening a book in his hands, he gave his message to Abu Fahad in eager, appealing words. It was a lengthy speech. Abu Fahad listened to it without interruption. The next day, Abu Fahad was about to set out on a journey towards a nearby city, the foreigner came up to him and asked him if he would accompany him. The two of them set forth on the way. They travelled together for many hours. At last, they came across a small spring in the desert.

"Let us rest here," said Abu Fahad to his companion. After resting for a few hours, Abu Fahad got up and saddled his horse and said, "Now, let us go on, he said "and seeing that I have had my share of rest, I will change places with you for a while, it will be your turn to ride the animal and I will walk besides you on foot." Abu Fahad prevailed upon him to accept this offer, and at last, his companion yielded after a great deal of persuasion. His companion sat on the horse and noticed that the horse was of the finest Arabian breed. Suddenly an evil idea took shape in his mind. He wanted this horse all for himself, ride away forever, and leave Abu Fahad alone on the road. He tightened the reins that he held in his hands and this was sufficient for the animal to leap forward and break into a gallop. "Hold!" cried the astonished owner. "Listen!" cried Abu Fahad, "you have my horse, I do not ask you to return it. I have but one request from you. Never, by the life that Allah has given you, tell to others how you obtained your horse." "That is not likely," said the foreigner, covering his confusion under a mask of insolence. "But, what reason do you have for making such a strange request to me?" Abu Fahad answered gravely, "Because then the people who have listened to the truth from you will call you a murderer."

"Yes," repeated Abu Fahad, "if you complete the wicked act of robbing me of my horse, you would kill Compassion, in the hearts of men. If it were told that Abu Fahad was deceived for lending his horse out of pity to a foreigner, then never will a rider in these lands would ever lend a horse to a foreigner, to help him during his travels." The foreigner was by now crushed with guilt, he slipped from the saddle, came up to the Arab Bedouin and started covering his hands and face with kisses. "For the sake of Allah, the God you worship, please forgive me. Let me kneel on this burning sand and beg Him to forgive my sin." Eagerly, he forced an unwilling Abu Fahad, back into the saddle, imploring him to leave him alone to wallow in his shame. The Arab climbed back into his saddle and turned to see the foreigner prostrating, in repentance, his face thrust into the hot sands of the Arabian Desert.

A. I. Makki

Kindness Pays

There was an old Makkan woman who hated Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh). Every morning when he passed by her house, she would empty a basket of rubbish on his head from the upper storey of her house. He never grumbled or said anything to her. One day as he went past, the garbage did not come down on him as it usually did. Surprised that no rubbish had been emptied on his head, he thought,” she must be ill” and went upstairs to enquire how she was. The spiteful woman was very frightened. She thought he had come to quarrel with her. When he said he had come to enquire after her health, she bowed to him and wept, begging her forgiveness. She sobbed, “ I illtreat you and you enquire after my health. Teach me your religion. Teach me your way of life.” The Prophet’s (Pbuh) kindness to her in return for her daily insults changed her completely. Moral: Kindness gives you even more power than muscles, over your enemies.Be pleasant and polite. Smile at others. Greet them cheerfully. These are wonderful ways of being kind to people. Even if someone provokes you to get angry, try to speak to them politely instead of shouting at them. Let us emulate the Prophet’s (Pbuh) strength of character.

Shafia Ahmed

Stop, Look up and Smile!

A little girl walked to and from school each day. One day, however, it was quite stormy. By afternoon, the wind and rain increased, along with frightening thunder and lightning! Mom felt concerned that her daughter would be scared and she herself feared that the storm could harm the little girl. Following a huge roar of thunder, through her window she saw lightning like a flaming sword cut through the sky. She ran to her car and drove the route to her child's school. Soon, she spotted her daughter walking along. She stopped and watched a strange thing- with every flash of lightning, the little girl would stop, look up and smile. The mother drove up beside her daughter and called to her, "What are you doing? Why do you keep stopping?" The little girl answered, "Mommy, Allah keeps taking my picture." STOP, LOOK UP and SMILE during those storms!.
Do animals talk to one another?

Scientists working on animals are convinced that animals indeed talk to one another. However, there is no creature in Squirrelthe animal world that enjoys the advanced speech facilities of human beings. Birds chatter unceasingly in their nests uttering sounds understood by its little chicks. Likewise, the neigh of a horse, the braying of a donkey, the moo of a cow, and the trumpeting of an elephant carry with them different feelings, meanings and emotions. Insects like ants, bees, and wasps live in groups. They live in harmony with one another and share tasks with one another. They cannot do this unless they have a way of communicating or talking with one another. These studies on animals have been carried Do really Animals talk to one another ?out extensively by scientists in recent times. The holy Quran had foretold that animals do talk to each other, as it is obvious from the following verses: Chapter, 27:18 of the holy Quran reads as follows, “At length, when they came to a valley of ants. One of the ants said: “O ye ants get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts crush you under foot without knowing it.” The verse of the Quran gives valuable insight into the world of ants. The verse tells that one of the ants “said” addressing an assembly of other ants to get into their habitations, if not, Prophet Sulayman’s army would crush them to death. The verse also tells us that the ant knew that there was a retinue of soldiers accompanying Prophet Sulayman. It also understood that they might kill the ants unwittingly by crushing them to death.

A. I. Makki
Back to top Go down
https://islam4u.ahlamontada.com

Zaid Bin Haritha
Page 1 of 1