islam4u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
islam4u

islamic, social, cultural

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Companions of the Prophet 4

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Companions of the Prophet 4 Empty
PostSubject: Companions of the Prophet 4   Companions of the Prophet 4 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 5:48 am

Bilal Al-Habashi Carries The Sutra Of The Prophet
Posted on May 12, 2011 by Gary Larocque

In the 2nd year (624 AD) after Hijra (migration) the Prophet (saws) received some gifts of homage from the Negus, King of Abyssinia. A signet ring, a pair of shoes and an ‘anaza (a short spear), and Bilal ibn Rabah (raa) was given the honour to walk infront of the Prophet (saws) on his way to Salat al-Eid and Salat-Istisqa (prayer for rain) carrying the spear.

Upon reaching the Musalla, Bilal Al-Habashi (the Abyssinia) (raa) would pitch the spear in the ground one or two yards infront of the Prophet (saws) saws.

The Two Festivals (Eids)
Bukhari :: Book 2 :: Volume 15 :: Hadith 89

Narrated Ibn Umar (raa): On the day of ‘Id-ul-Fitr and ‘Id-ul-Adha a spear used to be planted in front of the Prophet (saws) (as a Sutra for the prayer) and then he would pray.

Thus Bilal (raa), along with being the first muazzin of Islam had the honor of keeping the Prophets spear throughout his lifetime.

Call to Prayers (Adhaan)
Bukhari :: Book 1 :: Volume 11 :: Hadith 606

Narrated ‘Aun bin Abi Juhaifa:

My father said, "I saw Allah’s Apostle (saws) at a place called Al-Abtah. Bilal (raa) came and informed him about the prayer and then came out with an Anza and planted it in front of Allah’s Apostle (saws) at Al-Abtah and pronounced the Iqama."

Share68
Posted in Bilal Ibn Rabah | Tagged Sahih Bukhari, spear, Umar ibn al-Khattab | Leave a comment
The Manumission Of Bilal ibn Rabah
Posted on April 28, 2011 by Gary Larocque

Companions of the Prophet
Sahih Bukhari: Volume 5, Book 57, Number 98

Narrated Jabir ibn ‘Abdullah (raa): Whenever Umar lbn Al-Khattab (raa) mentioned Abu Bakr (raa) he would say, “Abu Bakr (raa) is our master and the emancipator of our master.” That is to say, Bilaal (raa).

By enduring all sorts of atrocities and humiliations in the path of love for Allah (swt) and His Prophet (saws), Bilal (raa) set an example and a beacon of light till the end of this world, for the seekers after Truth and Righteousness. He knew well the consequences of renouncing idol-worship and offering devotion to One God, Allah, yet so deep was the imprint of the righteous life and the unparalleled good morals of the Holy Prophet (raa) upon his heart that no degree of savage oppression and violence could blot it out.

One day Abu Bakr As-Siddiq (The Truthful) (raa) saw the heart touching plight of Bilal (raa) and he came to his rescue. “How long will you oppress this poor fellow?” said Abu Bakr (raa) to Bilals (raa) tormentor, Umaiya Bin Khalaf of the tribe of Banu Jamah.

Umaiya said, “If you feel for him, why don’t you buy him?”

So Abu Bakr (raa) bought Bilal (raa), paying ten Uqia (about 23 grams of Gold). Umaiya then said “Take him, for by Al-Laat and Al-Uzza, if you had refused to buy him except for one ounce of gold I would have sold him to you.”

Abu Bakr (raa) answered by saying, “By Allah (Subhanahu wa-ta’ala – swt. Translation: may He be glorified and exalted) if you had refused to sell him except for a hundred ounces, I would have paid it.”

Abu Bakr Siddiq (raa) then declared Bilal (raa) a free man.

It is stated that Abu Bakr (raa) bought Bilal (raa) at the advice of Allahs Messenger (saws). The Prophet (saws) also offered him half of the price in order to mitigate the burden of Abu Bakr, but Abu Bakr As-Siddiq begged pardon from the Prophet (saws) for not accepting this offer and he himself emancipated Bilal (raa).
Share91
Posted in Bilal Ibn Rabah | Tagged Abu Bakr Siddiq, Banu Jamah, character, Jabir ibn 'Abdullah, Quraish, Sahih Bukhari, slavery, torture, Umaiya bin Khalaf, Umar ibn al-Khattab | Leave a comment
The Torture Of Bilal ibn Rabah
Posted on April 19, 2011 by Gary Larocque

It is an established fact that Bilal Habashi (raa) had not embraced Islam with any worldly motive or to secure relief from the torments of slave life. On the contrary by accepting Islam as a slave, he had invited upon himself torment of double even treble intensity. He endured all kinds of atrocities with remarkable patience and fortitude and remained true to Islam his entire life.

Al-Mu’minun (the believers) who accepted Islam in the beginning were, except a few, generally weak and helpless. They had no supporters or sympathizers. Bilal (raa), like many of the early believers were subject to endless inhuman acts of torture by the unbelievers. Some Muslims had ropes tied to the legs and were dragged on the stony ground of the desert. Others where stripped and thrown on the burning sand and often on red embers, and some, like Bilal (raa) were tied to the ground in the blazing sun and had heavy stones placed on their bodies.

There was no threat or cruel torture which the unbelievers did not execute on Bilal (raa) in an attempt to divert him from the True Faith and to coerce a statement which suited their purpose. Bilal (raa) displayed unflinching self-control, patience and perseverance. He held firm to his faith and uttered in reply to the torment, “There is none to be worshiped but Allah”.

According to historical records, Bilals (raa) greatest tormentor, Umaiya Bin Khalaf often tied him down and flung a stone and cow hide over him. Umaiya would say “Your gods are Lat and Uzza so testify your faith in them.” Uttering, Ahad, Ahad (Allah is One, Allah is One), the tormentors demanded Bilal (raa) to respect what they said, but he would reply, “No, my tongue is not supposed to utter what you say.”

Continuing to say “Ahad, Ahad” the unbelievers tied a rope round his neck and allowed the street urchins to drag him between the two hills of Mecca. Even, under this severe torment, Bilal (raa) held firm to his faith and repeated “Ahad, Ahad.” Thereupon, the unbelievers gave him a severe beating and again stretching him on the burning sand they placed the heavy stone over his body making breathing difficult for him. Occasionally a heavy person was to jump on the stone, but all the while Bilal (raa) persevered and uttered “Ahad, Ahad.”

This defiance against his slave master, who may have owned his body, proved ultimately that nobody could own ones mind or ones thought.
Share131
Posted in Bilal Ibn Rabah | Tagged Bilal ibn Rabah, character, Lat, sabr (patience), torture, Umaiya bin Khalaf, Uzza | 6 Comments
Tabarruk (Seek Blessings) From the Prophet’s Blessed Skin
Posted on March 20, 2011 by Gary Larocque
Battle of Badr, Friday morning the 17th of Ramadan

Habban ibn Wasi ibn Habban (raa) told me on the Authority of some elders of his tribe that on the day of Badr the apostle dressed the ranks of his companion wth an arrow which he held in his hand.

As he passed by Sawad ibn Ghaziya (raa), an ally of Ibn’Adiy ibn al-Najjar (raa), who was mustansil (standing out of line) he pricked him in his belly with the arrow, saying, “Stand in line, O Sawad!” [1]

“You have hurt me, O apostle of Allah,” he cried, “and Allah has sent you with right and justice so let me retaliate.”

The apostle uncovered his belly and said “Take your retaliation.”

Sawad (raa) embraced him and kissed his belly. He asked what had made him do this and he replied, “O apostle of Allah, you see what is before us and I may not survive the battle and as this is my last time with you I want my skin to touch yours”.

The apostle blessed him.
Lessons to be learnt:

Humility of Prophet (saws): He did not tell other soldiers to take him away and got tortured for what he said like leaders of our times would
Justice of Prophet (saws) when he allowed the companion to retaliate
The love the Sahaba (Companions) (raa) for Prophet (saws)

From the Translation of Ibn Ishaq’s Sirat Rasul Allah (The Life of Muhammad)

Note: I’ve included the following as a historical reference but because of the nature of Ibn Ishaq’s compilation, lack of isnad (chain of transmission), caution is advised when sharing such stories.

Ibn Hishams Notes from A. Guillaume’s translation

According to some Sawwad. Sawad of the Ansar was another man

Authenticity – Current Status: Unknown
Share73
Posted in Books | Tagged Ansar, Ibn Ishaq, Ibn'Adiy ibn al-Najjar, Sawad ibn Ghaziya. justice, Sirat Rasul Allah | 1 Comment
The First Muazzin Of Islam, Bilal Habashi
Posted on February 13, 2011 by Gary Larocque

During all the Prophets (saws) journeys, Bilal ibn Rabah (raa) was by his side and because of his precedence in embracing Islam, his rich melodious voice and excellent utterance of Quran he was appointed the first Muazzin of Islam. He was the most preferred over all other Muazzins during the Prophets (saws) lifetime and remained in this post at Al-Masjid al-Nabawi (the Mosque of the Prophet) until the Messangers (saws) Death in 10 A.H. (632 A.D.) (Anno Hegirae – year of Hijra).

Bilal (raa) use to announce the Athan (Call to Prayer) especially for the Messanger of Allah (saws) whom he cherished with such deep love by standing next to the door of the Prophets (saws) room shouting "Hasten to the prayer, Hasten to well-being. O Messenger of Allah, prayer.", in response to which the Prophet (saws) would arrive for prayer and Bilal (raa) would announce the Iqama (second call to prayer) before the prayers commenced. It’s because of this personal connection and honour that at the time of the Prophets (saws) passing Bilal (raa) could no longer bear the thought of announcing the call, so he decided to give up announcing the Athan a few days after the demise of Allah’s Apostle (saws) by requesting that Abu Bakr Siddiq (saws) the Caliph release him from his duty of Muazzin and allow him to join the Muhjahideen (strugglers) in Syria.

Bilal Habashi (Bilal the one from Abyssinia) (raa) declined all future requests to announce the Call to Prayer (Athan) except for once, which sadly was the last Call that, he delivered in his lifetime.

To the present day, some scholars are of the opinion that the Athans rhythmical form of recital in the Muslim world is the same as was originated by Bilal (raa). However, it must be clarified that the Messanger of Allah (saws) had not appointed Bilal (raa) as the Muazzin solely because of his masterly rhythm or melody of the rules but it was his exceeding piety, devotion to worship and regular attendance in the Masjid (place of prostration) that the choice of the Prophet (saws) fell on Bilal Habisha (raa) for the performance of this honourable and important duty.
Share82
Posted in Bilal Ibn Rabah | Tagged Abu Bakr Siddiq, athan, caliph, call to prayer, muazzin | 4 Comments
Umm Aiman, A Pious Virtuous Woman
Posted on February 6, 2011 by Gary Larocque

Anas bin Malik (raa) reported: After the death of Messenger of Allah (saws), Abu Bakr said to ‘Umar (raa) : “Let us visit Umm Aiman (raa) as Messenger of Allah (saws) used to visit her”.

As we came to her, she wept. They (Abu Bakr and ‘Umar (raa)) said to her, “What makes you weep? Do you not know that what Allah has in store for His Messenger (saws) is better than (this worldly life)?”

She said, “I weep not because I am ignorant of the fact that what is in store for Messenger of Allah (saws) (in the Hereafter) is better than this world, but I weep because the Revelation has ceased to come”.

This moved both of them to tears and they began to weep along with her.

The Book Pertaining to the Merits of the Companions (raa) of the Holy Prophet (saws) (Kitab Al-Fada’il Al-Sahabah) – Muslim: Book 31, Hadith 6009
Commentary: The Book of Miscellany
Visiting The Pious Person – Loving Them And Adoption Of Their Company
Riyadh as-Saaliheen (The Gardens of the Righteous), by Imam an-Nawawi

Umm Aiman (raa) belonged to Abyssinia (Ethiopia) and was a slave-girl of the Prophet’s father (‘Abdullah bin ‘Abdul-Muttalib). After the death of ‘Abdullah, Umm Aiman (raa) remained with the Prophet’s mother, Aminah, and took great care in his upbringing. Subsequently, the Prophet (saws) set her free and she was married to Zaid bin Harithah (raa)

This Hadith holds justification for weeping over the death of the pious and also shows that it is desirable to visit such persons to whom one’s friends go to pay respect.

The incident mentioned in this Hadith also shows the love that the Companions (raa) of the Prophet (saws) had for him.
Share58
Posted in Hadith, Mothers & Sisters | Tagged 'Abdullah bin 'Abdul-Muttalib, Abu Bakr Siddiq, Aminah, Anas bin Malik, illness, sahih muslim, slavery, Umar ibn al-Khattab, visiting, Zaid bim Harithah | Leave a comment
Death of The Prophet, Fatima’s Dua’ For Her Father
Posted on February 1, 2011 by Gary Larocque

Narrated Anas (raa): When the ailment of the Prophet (saws) got aggravated, he became unconscious whereupon Fatima (raa) said, “Oh, how distressed my father is!”

He said, “Your father will have no more distress after today.”

When he expired, she said, “O Father (saws)! Who has responded to the call of the Lord Who has invited him! O Father (saws), whose dwelling place is the Garden of Paradise (i.e. Al-Firdaus)! O Father! We convey this news (of your death) to Gabriel.”

When he was buried, Fatima (raa) said, “O Anas (raa)! Do you feel pleased to throw earth over Allah’s Apostle (saws)?”

Military Expeditions led by the Prophet (saws) (Al-Maghaazi) – Sahih Bukhari: Book 5, Volume 5, Hadith 739
Commentary: The Book of Miscellany
Patience & Perseverance

This Hadith shows that it is permissible to express the trouble and restlessness which one feels at the time of death. Similarly, expression of pain and grief in a natural way in the event of someone’s death is also permissible.

To remember the virtues of the deceased is also permitted but it is to be free from wailing and moaning, lamentation and crying, and tearing off clothes, etc. The last words of Fatimah (raa) are also a way of expressing grief and sadness and not a criticism on the burial of the Prophet (saws) because such criticism is prohibited by Shari’ah and no one is exempted from it.
Share49
Posted in Hadith | Tagged Anas bin Malik, commentary, death, Fatimah bint Muhammad, sabr (patience), Sahih Bukhari | 8 Comments
Qualities of the Faithful Believers and Their Refinement
Posted on January 23, 2011 by Gary Larocque

Al Fath (Victory, Conquest) [48:29]

“Muhammad is the apostle of Allah; and those who are with him are strong against Unbelievers, (but) compassionate amongst each other.

Thou wilt see them bow and prostrate themselves (in prayer), seeking Grace from Allah and (His) Good Pleasure. On their faces are their marks, (being) the traces of their prostration.

This is their similitude in the Taurat; and their similitude in the Gospel is: like a seed which sends forth its blade, then makes it strong; it then becomes thick, and it stands on its own stem, (filling) the sowers with wonder and delight.

As a result, it fills the Unbelievers with rage at them. Allah has promised those among them who believe and do righteous deeds forgiveness, and a great Reward.”

Transliteration:

“Muhammadun rasoolu Allahi waallatheenamaAAahu ashiddao AAala alkuffari ruhamaobaynahum tarahum rukkaAAan sujjadan yabtaghoona fadlanmina Allahi waridwanan seemahum feewujoohihim min athari alssujoodi thalika mathaluhumfee alttawrati wamathaluhum fee al-injeelikazarAAin akhraja shat-ahu faazarahu faistaghlathafaistawa AAala sooqihi yuAAjibu alzzurraAAaliyagheetha bihimu alkuffara waAAada Allahuallatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihatiminhum maghfiratan waajran AAatheeman”
Share47
Posted in Quran | Tagged believers, companions, forgiveness, reward, unbelievers | 2 Comments
Passion For Greeting (Salaam – Peace), Father Of The Belly
Posted on January 20, 2011 by Gary Larocque

Yahya (raa) related to me from Malik (raa) from Ishaq ibn Abdullah ibn Abi Talha (raa) that at-Tufayl ibn Ubayy ibn Kab (raa) told him that he visited Abdullah ibn Umar (raa) one morning and went out with him to the market, and when they were out, Abdullah ibn Umar (raa) did not pass by anyone selling poor merchandise or selling commodities or a needy person or anyone but that he greeted them.

At-Tufayl (raa) said, I came to Abdullah ibn Umar (raa) one day and he asked me to follow him to the market. I said to him, “What will you do in the market if you will not stop to sell nor seek any goods or barter with them or sit in any of the assemblies or market?”

Abdullah ibn Umar (raa) said that we should sit down and talk, and then he explained, “Abu Batni (raa), (lit. father of the belly, at-Tufayl had a prominent stomach), we go out in the morning only for the sake of the greeting. We greet whomever we meet.”

Greetings – Malik’s Muwatta: Book 53 : Hadith 53.3.6
Commentary: The Book of Greetings
Excellence of Promoting Greetings

This Hadith highlights ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar’s (raa) passion for promoting Salam which is a practice of Sunnah. Secondly, we can call a person by his epithetic name provided he is not offended by it.
Share32
Posted in Hadith | Tagged Abdullah bin Umar, at-Tufayl ibn Ubayy ibn Kab, commentary, greetings, Ishaq ibn Abdullah ibn Abi Talha, Malik's Muwatta, salaam | 1 Comment
Slander & Backbiting
Posted on January 18, 2011 by Gary Larocque

Abu Huraira (raa) reported Allah’s Messenger (saws) as saying: “Do you know what is backbiting?”

They (the Companions) (raa) said: “Allah and His Messenger know best”.

Thereupon he (the Holy Prophet) (saws) said: “Backbiting implies your talking about your brother in a manner which he does not like.”

It was said to him (saws): “What is your opinion about this that if I actually find (that failing) in my brother which I made a mention of?”

He said (saws): “If (that failing) is actually found (in him) what you assert, you in fact backbited him, and if that is not in him it is a slander.”

The Book of Virtue, Good Manners and Joining of the Ties of Relationship (Kitab Al-Birr was-Salat-I-wa’l-Adab) – Sahih Muslim: Book 32, Number 6265
Commentary: The Book of Prohibited Actions – Exaltation of Modesty
The Prohibition of Backbiting and the Commandment of Guarding one’s Tongue

This Hadith elaborates the meaning of backbiting and calumny and points out the difference between the two along with the evils of each one of them. Both these evils are mischief of the tongue and entail great troubles. May Allah save us from both.
Share63
Posted in Hadith | Tagged backbiting, commentary, sahih muslim, slander | Leave a comment
Haya’ (Shyness), Part of Iman
Posted on January 14, 2011 by Gary Larocque
Bukhari

Narrated ‘Abdullah (bin ‘Umar) (raa) : Once Allah’s Apostle (saws) passed by an Ansari (man) who was admonishing to his brother regarding Haya’ (shyness). On that Allah’s Apostle (saws) said, “Leave him as Haya’ (shyness) is a part of faith.”

Belief – Sahih Bukhari: Volume 1, Book 2, Number 24 Continue reading →
Share52
Posted in Hadith | Tagged Abdullah bin Umar, admonish, Ansar, commentary, haya, Malik's Muwatta, modesty, Sahih Bukhari, sahih muslim, Salim Mawla Abu Hudhayfah, shyness | Leave a comment
Abuse Of The Sahaba, Companions of The Prophet
Posted on January 11, 2011 by Gary Larocque

Narrated Abu Said (raa): The Prophet (saws) said, “Do not abuse my companions (raa) for if any one of you spent gold equal to Uhud (in Allah’s Cause) it would not be equal to a Mud or even a half Mud spent by one of them.”

Companions of the Prophet – Sahih Bukhari: Volume 5, Book 57, Number 22
Share29
Posted in Hadith | Tagged Abu Said Al-Khudri, companion, complain, gold, mud, Sahih Bukhari, uhud | 1 Comment
Allah’s Apostle, Who Are The Best After Him?
Posted on January 9, 2011 by Gary Larocque

Narrated Muhammad bin Al-Hanafiya (raa): I asked my father (‘Ali bin Abi Talib (raa)), “Who are the best people after Allah’s Apostle (saws)?”

He said, “Abu Bakr (raa).”

Continue reading →
Share32
Posted in Hadith | Tagged Abu Bakr Siddiq, Ali ibn Abi Talib, Muhammad bin Al-Hanafiya, Sahih Bukhari, `Uthman ibn `Affan | 4 Comments
Umar ibn Al-Khattab, Muhaddithun (Guess the Future)
Posted on January 8, 2011 by Gary Larocque

Narrated Abu Huraira (Radiallahu Anhu – may Allah be pleased with him): The Prophet (saws: Sall-allahu alayhi wa sallam) said, “Amongst the people preceding you there used to be ‘Muhaddithun’ (i.e. persons who can guess things that come true later on, as if those persons have been inspired by a divine power), and if there are any such persons amongst my followers, it is ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab (Radiallahu Anhu – may Allah be pleased with him).”

Virtues and Merits of the Prophet (pbuh) and his Companions – Sahih Bukhari: Volume 4, Book 56, Number 675
Share27
Posted in Hadith | Tagged Abu Huraira, knowledge, Muhaddithun, Sahih Bukhari, Umar ibn al-Khattab | 3 Comments
The Name of Al-Ansar & Their Deeds
Posted on January 7, 2011 by Gary Larocque

Narrated Ghailan bin Jarir (Radiallahu Anhu – may Allah be pleased with him): I asked Anas (Radiallahu Anhu – may Allah be pleased with him), “Tell me about the name ‘Al-Ansar.; Did you call yourselves by it or did Allah call you by it?” He (Radiallahu Anhu – may Allah be pleased with him) said, “Allah called us by it.”

We used to visit Anas (Radiallahu Anhu – may Allah be pleased with him) (at Basra) and he used to narrate to us the virtues and deeds of the Ansar (Radiallahu Anhu – may Allah be pleased with them), and he used to address me or a person from the tribe of Al-Azd and say, “Your tribe did so-and-so on such-and-such a day.”

Merits of the Helpers in Madinah (Ansaar) – Sahih Bukhari: Volume 5, Book 58, Number 120
Back to top Go down
https://islam4u.ahlamontada.com

Companions of the Prophet 4
Page 1 of 1